Carers Assessment

Carers Assessment

If you’re over 18 and looking after a disabled child that you have parental responsibility for, you can ask for a parent carer’s needs assessment.

To request a needs assessment email or call 01752 668000.

A trained person from the council or an organisation they work with will chat to you about how caring affects your family and the sort of help you need. They can also carry out a needs assessment for your child at the same time.

The assessment will look at how caring affects:

  • your family life and wellbeing
  • your physical, mental and emotional health
  • your work, study, training, leisure
  • your relationships

After your assessment

If you’re eligible for help, you and the assessor will decide what support you need and how your needs will be met. You might be able to get help with:

You might also be able to get financial support such as a direct payment to spend on things to make caring easier.